A pillar in Ayurvedic health & medicine
WHAT IS PEPE SAYA GHEE?
Made from Pepe Saya’s cultured butter, packed with flavour and with a smoke point of 230- it’s an absolute game changer in your cooking.
Once people start using it, there’s generally no turning back.
Pepe Saya Ghee was first recognised because our factory staff were taking the butter home and making their own ghee for their Nepalese and Indian cooking. They said they didn’t like the mass produced ghee they could buy at the shop as it didn’t taste as good as what they could make with the Pepe Saya cultured butter. So we started making it for them. See video attached for the story.
HOW DOES PEPE MAKE GHEE?
We started out making a beautiful cultured butter, which is naturally full of probiotics - a real master piece. Pepe Saya butter is cultured, which makes it quite unique in texture & flavour. Good bacteria is added to the milk of grass fed cows which is left to ferment for 24 hours and turns sour making Creme Fraiche. It then ages for 1 month before it’s churned, washed, kneaded and salted/ unsalted.
Ghee is the real show stopper in gut and holistic health. An aromatic substance that is sold at room temperature, ghee is made by clarifying cultured butter and caramelising the milk solids at a low heat for four hours, leaving only the golden oil behind. Ghee is caramelised clarified butter or as we call it ‘oil of milk’.
DID YOU SAY HEALTHY?
We have done our research and discovered that our Ghee is a goldmine of nutrients, making it a pillar in Ayurvedic health & medicine. Ayurvedic is defined as the ancient Hindu art of medicine that focuses on the balance of bodily systems and uses diet and herbal treatment to prolong life. Dating back to over 5000 years, Ayurveda is a long lasting lifestyle embedded in history and tradition. Made using grass fed cow’s milk, Ghee has multiple health benefits including, building strong bones, improving digestion and reducing inflammation. It is also full of those necessary fats our body needs to be sustained with. It has a nutty flavour, contains vitamins A and D, and keeps for longer than butter. It is also very high in saturated fat - 66%. A little goes a long way. Just for comparison, canola has less than 10% saturated fat, olive oil around 15%, butter 53%, and margarines 20%.
5 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT GHEE
- The flavour of our ghee has a lovely nutty quality, the result of caramelizing the milk solids using Pepe Saya cultured butter.
- It has a smoke point of 230˚C, higher than coconut oil, olive oil and butter, making it a great choice for frying or sautéing. It also means it doesn’t burn like butter when cooking or roasting.
- Ghee is a favourite of those with intolerances to lactose or casein (the main protein found in milk) as it contains less than 1% of either of those potentially inflammatory substances.
- It can be stored without refrigeration for long periods of time because it’s shelf stable as there is no protein to make it spoil.
- Pepe Saya ghee is made from our cultured butter, which makes quite unique in texture and flavour
WHERE CAN YOU FIND PEPE SAYA GHEE?
Available in 2 sizes:
- Ghee 190ml $12.00 RRP
- Ghee 1L $30 at our Farmer’s Markets and $40.00 online
Both are available from Pepe Saya's online store and are able to be posted around Australia as it doesn’t require refrigeration.
The small size is available at leading health food stores and independent grocers around the country and the large is available at select farmers’ markets in Sydney.
Salted Butter | Unsalted Butter | Buttermilk | Crème Fraîche | Mascarpone | Ghee