PEPE'S 5 THINGS YOU
KNOW ABOUT GHEE
1. The flavour of our ghee has a lovely nutty quality, the result of using Pepe Saya unsalted cultured butter.
2. It has a smoke point of 230˚C, higher than coconut oil, olive oil and butter, making it a great choice for frying or sautéing. It also means it doesn’t burn like butter when cooking or roasting.
3. Ghee is a favourite of those with intolerances to lactose or casein (the main protein found in milk) as it contains less than 1% of either of those potentially inflammatory substances.
4. It can be stored without refrigeration for long periods of time because it’s shelf stable as there is no protein to make it spoil.
5. Pepe Saya ghee is cultured, which makes it quite unique. The milk of grass fed cows is made into crème fraiche before we add good bacteria and ferment for 24 hours. It then ages for 1 month before it’s churned, washed, kneaded and salted, then finally simmered and caramelised over low heat.